Visit Rennes, the capital of Brittany. There are many activities in this city and many big events occur, such as festivals or art exhibitions.
Rennes is not so far from Edd Hostel, it is at 35 minutes by train or car. For us, it worth the visit if you stay more than 3 days in the region. If it is only a short stay, our team thinks it is much better to visit Saint- Malo , Mont Saint-Michel, Dinan, Cancale, Dinard etc…
We like Rennes but is it is bit city and nowadays big cities in Europe look like the same, go off tracks !
The town is known for its classique and medieval heritage conservation, but it remains a big student city when there is always something happening. In summer is it actually quite quiet.
To do List
- If you come on Saturday morning, be sure to not miss the market in the hall Martenot. It’s always a good idea to get some fresh products from Brittany ? Even during the week, some shops are open !! Or there is “Halles Central market” open everyday from 8am untill 19pm, where you can enjoy the french market and the cute hall from 20th century.
- Have a look at the restored Saint-Pierre cathedral, where dukes used to be crowned back in time!
- Jardin du Thabor : best place to chill out and have fresh air in cities!
- Visit the Parliament of Brittany for 7,20 euros, or, if it’s Summer, just look at it at night time! It will be illuminated all Summer and the spectacle is just gorgeous.
- Look for Sainte-Thérèse church, a historical classified monument, which is presenting nice Odorica mosaic for the pleasure of the eyes.
- Then take a walk in Saint-Anne square, where several houses are historical monuments classified. Those houses and the paved streets makes you feel like you were back in Middle-Age sometime, except at night time! Indeed, the square is also full of bars and pubs and is very lovely when the Sun goes down. It’s the good place if you wish to have a drink and rest on a terrace at day time or have fun when the night comes.
Speaking of having fun, you can also check for all the events that occurs in the city. There’s always something happening there, like Heritage Day, music festivals like Stunfest, special parties such as roller blading party etc…
How to get there: Direct train from Dol de Bretagne 40 minutes, you can check the schedules with us at Edd Hostel or online on oui.sncf!
Where to eat: Rennes is a huge town, and there’s many places where you can eat. However, if you want to eat local the better thing is to go to Saint-Anne square and walk around. There’s plenty of good restaurants hiding in those streets! ?
Touriste office, click here!
Official website, click here!
Event calendar, click here!
Some trip ideas, click here!
Tags: Bretagne, Rennes, Train, Walk