The European heritage days
18-19th of Septembre 2021
We are in September, which means the european heritage days!
Event created in 1984 by the former french cultural minister, Jack Lang, to begin with there was only one day dedicated for the “open houses in the historical monuments”! This initiative was so successful that the european countries took exemple to also create a day for free visits in their cultural patrimony. A few years later, this same minister assigned a second day to this event. In 2000, Europe officially rebaptised these two days : “The European Heritage days”.
Every year, discover the new theme that highlights the european dimension!
In 2021 the chosen theme is “Patrimony for everyone” .
We will explain in this article which monuments you will be able to visit in our dear region. That’s right, you might as well enjoy these two days of open houses while being based at Edd Hostel 😀 !
Heritage Days at Saint-Malo
Indeed, note that the famous corsar city of Saint-Malo is only 16min by train from Edd Hostel! For these 2 days, you will be able to access for free some of the monuments and events to discover this city full of history! We will note some of them below :
- Port auction, 18th of Septembre : at first, Saint-Malo is before all a port city, as you can guess thanks to its location near by the sea. Meet in this morning, from 10 am to 10h45am! A guided visit will take place to introduce you to this port auction. It anounces the fishermen’s arrival, as well as the potential buyers of fresh fish!
- Minerallium, 19th of Septembre : museum presenting minerals and their roles in our whole ecosystem. Open for free to everyone sunday between 9h30am and 5pm, guided visits are available in this cultural place!
- Maison du Peuple, (People’s House) 18th of Septembre : registered in the historical monuments since 2011, this people’s house includes a pavilion and a party room. Actually in renovation and redevelopment, the volunteers present on this day will present to you their actual project! You can visit this place fro 10am to 6h30pm!
- Malouinière de la Chipaudière, 18th of Septembre : further, accessible by car, this old house witness of the golden age of Saint-Malo built in 1710, is classified as a historical monument. Its inhabitants will offer a guided visit from 2pm to 3pm, to book directly via their website!
Heritage days at Dinan
20minutes by train from Edd Hostel, Dinan is a medieval city full of charm and history! Wander around its cobbled strets, and discover all of what it has to tell you 😀
- Basilique saint Sauveur, Saturday 18 : edified within the 12th century, you can find ruins of this time on its facade. A guided visit is offered on saturday from 3h30pm to 5pm.
- Place du Guesclin, Saturday 18 : a guided visit is taking place to take you through the streets and discover the charming half timbered houses! Each of them carying its history, don’t miss the visit between 11am to 12h30am!
- Guided visit of Dinan’s battlements, Saturday 18 : battlements from the 13th century, the dukes of Brittany made this choice of fortifications. Their wish was to make a stronghold from this famous city. A guided visit telling you the story of these battlements will take place from 4h30pm to 6pm!
- Unusual visit at “la Place Saint-Louis”, Saturday 18 : theatrical visit embodied by a conferencial guide that will represent a roofman help called Barbe. Discover the medieval city of Dinan through the eyes of the builders of this great city! The visit will be from 2pm to 3h30pm.
- Traveling concert at “la Maison de la Rance”, Saturday 18 : atypical concert, energitically powered by an electric bicycle, this performance will take place from 9pm to 10pm, and will link poesy, sound and visual. Discover the testimonies of the caracters met in Oniri’s country.
For the rest the Edd Team invites you to walk around by yourself through Dinan’s street! Like this discover the open monuments for these European Heritage Days!
Heritage days elsewhere
- Moulin de Boschet at Saint-Suliac, Saturday 18th of Septembre : commented visit from 9h30am to 6h30pm of this old wheat mill, created in 1582. Full of history, it is the last functionning mill of the Rance!
- Guided visit of Holy Jeanne Jurgan’s birthplace, Saturday 18th : building from the 18th century at the heart of Cancale, discover its history with a movie projection and a guided visit that will take place from 2pm to 6pm. The old furniture of the house will allow you to envision the daily life of this time, the Revolution. Holy Jeanne was the founder of the Little sisters of the Poor.
- Léhon‘s castle, Saturday 18th : castle of the 13th century, built on a rocky massif, it was renovated by Juhel de Mayenne, lord of Dinan. You can visit its ruins for the opening hours between 10am to 6pm.
The EDD Team hopes that this article will greatly help you for these heritage days! Enjoy 😀
USEFUL LINKS :
Program : Tout la France
In: Full day trip